Online learning is the burning demand of the hour. Currently, at every college and university across the country, we are pivoting quickly to online learning, also termed as ‘Distance learning’.
The learning procedure for anyone should never retard, it should be carried on irrespective of the conditional or unconditional approaching circumstances. To assist the significance of the mentioned verdict just now, online learning must be the apt keyword to be appropriately anchored.
It provides the learner, a plethora of easiness with which he/she could enhance the knowledge base in a structured manner virtually. Various technological skillsets can be imbibed within and mastered efficiently via online learning, thus, making this methodology a phenomenal success.
Insight regarding Google Meet:
Google Meet is a video-communication service developed by Google. It is one of two applications that constitute the new version of Google Hangouts, the other being Google Chat. Google planned to begin retiring the classic version of Hangouts in October 2019.
Initially Google ran Meet as a commercial service; in April 2020 Google started rolling it to free users as well, causing speculation about whether the consumer version of Google Meet would accelerate the deprecation of Google Hangouts.
Let us enlist the “Do’s” that should be followed on primed basis while hanging in Google Meet online teaching:
- Pre-scrutinization of the technological features of the application
- Remain fresh as well as excited in the online mirror
- Encouragement to attain overall engagement
- Ensure the designed/ prepared slides are superficially interpretable
- Solicitation followed by stratification of the queries and recommendations from the client side(here, learners).
Certain “Don’t do” encompasses:
- Commencement of the meeting without any generic rehearsal
- Stress over technological glitches
- Getting trapped in the loop of shooting back and forth emails with the students
- Employment of certain in-built tools or features embedded in the app even which asks for no significant use in learning procedure.
Its time to move into technicalities embedded in the very application, can be employed in both, PC version as well as smartphone. Let us interpret the step-wise procedure of vivid technicalities in the form of user-friendly features of Google Meet, it includes video meeting commencement, scheduling meetings, manage participants, virtual classroom creation, invitation to learners, etc.
Formulations depicting step-wise procedure to start a new video meeting and according scheduling of meetings in PC version:
Schedule a video meeting from Google Calendar:
It’s easy to schedule a Meet video meeting in Google Calendar—just create an event and add your guests to it.
A video meeting link and dial-in number (if you are a G Suite user) is added to a Calendar event either by inviting one or more guests to the event, or by clicking Add conferencing.
An important note to be taken care about, here:
Guests can forward the meeting link to other people. If someone tries to join who was not invited to the Calendar event, a meeting participant from your organization must accept their request.
For meetings organized by a personal Google Account, only the meeting creator can admit these participants.
Steps are as follows:
- In Calendar, create an event.
- Click Add guests and enter the names or email of the people you want to invite.
- Click Save.
- Click Send to notify guests.
Schedule a video meeting in another scheduling system:
- Start a video meeting from Gmail or Meet (steps below).
- Copy the meeting details to an event created in your scheduling system.
Start a video meeting from Gmail
- Open Gmail .
- In the sidebar, click Start a meeting.
- In the Meet window, choose an option to join the meeting:
- To join using your computer’s camera for video and your computer’s microphone for audio, click Join now.
- (G Suite users) Using your phone for audio, click Join and use a phone for audio and then follow the on-screen prompts.
- If you join by phone, you can still use your computer for video.
- Once in the meeting, add other people:
- Share a meeting code: click Copy joining info, then paste it into a messaging app.
- Invite someone by email: click Add people enter a name or email address click Send invite.
- Invite someone by phone: click Add people click Call enter a phone number. This feature is currently available for meetings created via a G Suite account.
Start a video meeting from Meet
- In a web browser, enter https://meet.google.com.
- Click Join or Start a meeting.
- (Optional for G Suite users) Create a nickname for your meeting and enter the nickname. Click Continue.
- Click Join now.
- To add someone to a meeting, choose an option:
- Click Copy joining info and paste the meeting details into an email or another app.
- Click Add people and choose an option:
- Under the Invite section, select a name, or enter an email address and click Send invite.
- Tip: For meetings created via a personal Google account, only the meeting moderator can send an in call invite.
- Under the Call section, enter a phone number and press Call . This feature is currently available for meetings created via a G Suite account.
- Under the Invite section, select a name, or enter an email address and click Send invite.
Let us now dive into technicalities involved in managing participants during active duration of video meeting via Meet:
You can send messages during a meeting to the other video call guests from a computer or mobile device.
- If you can join in a conference room using Google meeting room hardware, you can see the messages, but not send.
- Messages are visible to everyone in the call.
- You can only see the chat messages exchanged when you are in the meeting. Messages sent before you joined are not displayed, and all messages disappear when you leave the meeting.
- Share links to discussion items, such as designs, proposals, agendas, and other online resources.
- Share links to Google Docs meeting notes or Google Slides presentations so people can follow along or add feedback.
- Submit questions during a presentation without interrupting the speaker-then answer all the questions in the following Q&A session.
Send a chat message during a video meeting [PC Version]
- Join a Meet video call.
- Click Chat (upper right corner).
- Enter a text message and click the Send relevant icon.
Note: If you want guests to be able to edit a file, make sure you have shared the Google file with them.
Presentation during a video meeting
You can present your entire screen or a specific window in a meeting to share documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and more.
Present during a meeting:
- Join a video meeting.
- In the bottom-right corner, select Present now.
- Select Your entire screen, A window, or Chrome tab.
- If you present a Chrome tab, it shares that tab’s audio by default.
- To present a different tab, at the bottom of your screen, select Change source.
- Select the content you’d like to share.
- Select Share.
- If someone is presenting, confirm that you want to present instead.
If your camera is turned on, your video is active while you’re presenting.
- In the Meet window, click Stop Presenting.
- In the bottom-right corner, you can also click You are presenting Stop presenting.
Present if someone else is already presenting
- In the bottom-right corner, click Present now.
- Select Your entire screen or A window.
- Select Present instead.
If another participant presents their screen, you’ll get a notification that your presentation is still visible to others. You can click the buttons in the notification to end or resume your presentation.
Google Meet is also possessing an another remarkable feature of virtual classroom platform where adequate interaction is very much possible at ease between learners and corresponding faculties’. The virtual classroom is named as Google Classroom which offers the liberty for the faculty to turn on assignments, fix according deadlines, schedule online meeting at Meet, task evaluation and display of marks, etc.
Let us dive into the creation of this virtual classroom, procedural formulations being done below:
Creation of a Google Classroom:
- Go to classroom.google.com.
- On the Classes page, click Add > Create class.
- Enter the class name.
- (Optional) To enter a short description, grade level, or class time, click Section and enter the details.
- (Optional) To add a subject, click Subject and enter a name, or click one from the list that appears when you enter text.
- (Optional) To enter the location for the class, click Room and enter the details.
- Click Create.
Few Tips for Online Classroom:
1. Lesson Planning in Advance
It is recommended to prepare all your lesson plans before the class starts. This will help in having notes and can be shared through Screen Share, as solving Maths or Physics problem during classroom session will be time-consuming as several tools of whiteboard or Graphic Tablets slows down activity.
2. Convert MS Word to Whiteboard
You should practice teaching through MS Word, as Word has got wide array of tools for
Equations and symbols which could be highly useful for teaching subjects like Math, Physics, and Chemistry. To use MS Word, practice is required to start using advance feature.
3. Convert MS Paint to Whiteboard
MS Paint can be useful for teaching subjects like Biology, Economics, Math and others which require free hand drawing. Again, it requires practice to start using features.
There lie some other exciting online platforms of engaging a learner with a faculty, which includes Zoom Online, Microsoft Teams, Webex [Cisco] etc.
They provide the simulated atmosphere of in-person learning procedure as it includes the varied options of assignments evaluation, task-submission, online testing methodology via quizzes and proctored examinations, learners’ performance evaluation using AI algorithms, etc.
These platforms with the application of structured AI and Machine learning algorithms, provide a wonderful organized base for education in this era, it now only depends on us, whether we employ it to become an asset or a liability to our society.